Exploring Reincarnation: The Classic Guide to the Evidence for Past-life Experiences
Written by one of the world’s leading authorities, EXPLORING REINCARNATION is a definitive study that examines the full range of explanations for past-life recall proposed around the world and over the centuries, along with describing diverse case histories. A range of intriguing theories about the relationship between body and soul are discussed – from general social beliefs about past lives to detailed questions about karma and past-life regression therapy. This is THE outstanding introduction to reincarnation from a historical, scientific, and philosophical point of view.
Hans TenDam first describes reincarnation beliefs in ancient and modern settings, spiritual and religious. Then he discusses experiences with reincarnation: children’s memories, spontaneous and induced regressions, paranormal explorations (for example via mediums), and so on. He then covers other explanations for past-life experiences, whether we can reincarnate in animals, how karma seems to work, and diverse other topics.
The author summarizes a large number of books on the subject and rates them for guiding further reading.
From reader reviews:
* The great definitive work on reincarnation; it is hard to imagine it ever being superseded. (Comment by Colin Wilson)
* A classic in its field.
* An eye-opener of the best kind.
* No other work casts its net so wide.
* The most complete overview obtainable.
* The outstanding encyclopedia of knowledge on the subject.
* The most thorough literature study available.
* The best and most complete book about reincarnation currently on the market.
* If you are beyond your introductory new age book on past lives, then you are ready to graduate to this monumental work.
* If Ian Stevenson can be said to be the Tycho Brahe of the new science in virtue of his collection of vast amounts of data on childhood past-life memories over the decades, then Hans TenDam is the Kepler who, by hard work, common-sense and clear insight has imposed the first real order upon the subject of reincarnation and past lives.
* I own a growing library of books in this field, and I agree with Colin Wilson that this is the definitive work on reincarnation.
* Certain aspects of reincarnation I have never seen covered in any other work – and I read quite a lot. A masterpiece!
* If you wonder how past life regression studies stack up against the traditional beliefs on reincarnation in Buddhism, Hinduism and other less well-known belief systems, and against the more modern systems of theosophy and anthroposophy, this is not only the book for you, this is the only book for you.
* If you’re interested in reincarnation – either from a professional or from a layman’s point of view – I would certainly recommend this book.
* This book not only provides a good academic introduction to the topic of reincarnation from various historical, scientific, religious and philosophical points of view, but also provides analysis and validity statistics bearing upon these standpoints.
* TenDam, a regression therapist himself, looks very seriously at other possibilities for explaining memories of past lives, such as false memories, fraud, deja vu, and so on. He dares to criticize religious beliefs and work of other authors in the field – salting his discussion with a dry sense of humor that sometimes made me roll on the floor laughing.
About the Author:
Hans TenDam graduated from the University of Amsterdam in psychology and pedagogy. Having become interested in the literature about reincarnation, he stumbled more or less by accident into regression therapy and found he had a knack for it. He has written a textbook on regression therapy: Deep Healing and Transformation. He has trained regression therapists in the Netherlands since 1983, and has given workshops in the USA, Brazil, Portugal, Finland, UK, Ireland, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Japan, and Turkey. He oversees international training programs in the Netherlands, India and the Philippines.